Partners in Education
The Alachua County Public Schools Partners in Education Program links businesses and organizations with schools that work together to enhance the student learning experience and promote school improvement.
What is a Partner in Education?
The Partners in Education program is a mutually supportive arrangement between a business or community organization and a school or the school district. Partners commit themselves to specific goals and activities intended to enhance educational opportunities of students. These goals and activities will be included in a written agreement.
Goals and objectives are met by matching partner resources with the needs of the school and its students. Schools and their community partners develop activities at their own pace consistent with their needs and resources.
As in any successful partnership, the resources, ideas and personnel from both sides are shared for mutual benefit. Partnerships may involve employees as tutors, mentors, coaches, or guest lecturers in their schools; they may make material or monetary contributions to projects.
“A successful education system is one in which every stakeholder feels a sense of ownership and involvement in the system’s programs and services.” That is what successful business partnerships are about…involvement and teamwork.
The following suggestions are activities that have provided meaningful partnerships for businesses or organizations working with schools:
- Provide release time for employees to tutor, mentor or read to students.
- Serve on a School Advisory Council.
- Provide incentives for students who have great attendance, grades, or attitude.
- Provide career shadowing opportunities for students.
- Donate used equipment or surplus materials.
- Serve as judges for various events, e.g. science fair, spelling bees, etc.
- Sponsor a school beautification project with materials or volunteers.
- Sponsor field trips.
- Assist with school publications/websites.
- Provide display space for student artwork.
- Serve as a guest speaker on career awareness, or special interest topics.
- Recognize students who receive special honors or awards.
- Sponsor special programs or school clubs.
- Provide educational or curriculum support materials.
- Provide part-time employment or internships for academy students.
- Provide seminars for students, parents, administrators.
- Collect school supplies, canned goods or personal hygiene items.
- Provide tours of your facility.
- Assist with school fundraising activities.
- Participate in school events.
- Provide recognition to teachers and support personnel.
- Sponsor contests in art, writing, reading, etc.
- Sponsor needy families at holiday times.
- Get involved in the Weekend Backpack Hunger program.
- Provide scholarships.
Access the Business Interest Inventory here.