What is VPK?
The Florida Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten Program (VPK) is a no cost educational program provided by the state for 4 year old children that live in Florida.
Why should I put my child in a VPK Program?
Studies demonstrate that children who complete VPK or attend even a portion of VPK are far more prepared to succeed in kindergarten and beyond.
What are the benefits of attending VPK with the Alachua County Public School?
- More Hours! A typical school year VPK program will provide 3 hours per day (8am to 11am) for 180 school days for a total of 540 hours. The ACPS VPK Program will provide an entire school day (7:45am-1:52pm Monday-Friday with early release on Wednesdays at 12:37pm).
- Kindergarten Readiness! VPK is a school readniess program that aims at preparing children for kindergarten. By having your child attend their zoned elementary school for VPK they will be more prepared to transition to kindergarten and better understand how their school operates. This will help them become excited about kindergarten and be able to excel in the more structured school environment.
- Multiple Locations! The program will be offered in 11 elementary schools across the district for the 2021-2022 school year: Archer, Duval, Hidden Oak, Idylwild, Irby, Lake Forest, Newberry, Norton, Rawlings, Shell, and Wiles.
- Free to all families! There are no registration or tuition fees with the ACPS VPK Program.
Who is eligible for the 2021-2022 ACPS VPK Program?
Children who will be 4 years old by September 1st, 2021 and who are zoned to one of our 11 VPK Schools.
When can I apply?
Registration for the 2021-2022 school year is now open. Families can apply at any time during the year. Spaces are limited so families are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
How many hours does the VPK Voucher provide?
The VPK school year program provides 540 hours. The VPK summer program provides 300 hours. By attending VPK with the Alachua County Public Schools, students will receive a full school day instead of just the 3 hour VPK day.
If you would like to register your 4 year old child for the 2021-2022 VPK Program or would like more information, simply click on the link below and complete the short form. VPK staff will contact you as soon possible with the next steps.
Thank you for your interest in the Alachua County Public Schools' VPK Program. We look forward to partnering with you and your family!
To apply for your child's VPK Voucher, visit the OEL Family Portal at:
- Establish a user account
- Complete the application and scan/submit any necesary documents.
- Submit your application.
You will receive an email from your local Early Learning Coaltion (ELC) with further instructions. Once approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibilty from the ELC that you will take to the VPK Provider that you wish your child to attend.