HIPPY Program Overview
Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY)
Empowering parents of children ages 3-5 to be their child's first teacher.
What do parents receive from the program?
Parents receive a set of carefully developed materials, curriculum and books designed to:
- strengthen their child's thinking skills
- nurture reading readiness
- enhance social and emotional development
Parents also participate in networking opportunities with other parents through family group meetings.
How does HIPPY help children?
HIPPY helps to prepare children for school by teaching reading skills, problem-solving skills and the ability to listen and follow instructions. HIPPY helps children to:
- say their full name
- identify basic colors and shapes
- use a pencil to make letters and shapes
- recognize most letters and numbers
- sequence a story
- use a book properly
How much does HIPPY cost?
There is no cost for families to participate in HIPPY. Parents are required to commit to taking 15 minutes each day to interact with their child, using HIPPY strategies and materials.