Magnet Application Timeline - Tentative
2023-2024 School Year
Tuesday, January 17, 2023 Application Opens
Online Application is available via a link on sbac.edu
General questions about magnet programs and applications should be directed to 352-955-7622
Tuesday, February 14, 2023 Application Closes at 4:00 p.m.
Online application closes at 4:00 p.m.
Paper copies MUST be postmarked by this date.
Tuesday, April 4, 2023 Acceptance/Waitlist Notification to Parents
Tuesday, April 11, 2023 Commitment Deadline
About The STEM Magnet
The STEM Magnet Program at Stephen Foster offers a comprehensive hands-on curriculum that integrates Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math in a real-world context. Students apply the engineering design process to STEM challenges that are integrated into the mathematics and science curriculum emphasizing problem solving, data analysis, and higher order thinking.
Highlights/Expectations of the Program
- STEM Lab with full-time STEM teacher
- Instructional technology including interactive white board, document cameras, desktop computers for student use, etc.
- Laptops for student use
- Above-level placement in core academics as needed to meet individual needs
- Cooperative and project-based learning opportunities with academically motivated students
- Transporation provided by the district
- Fieldtrips tied to the curriculum which may include Physics Day at Busch Gardens, Sea World, St. Augustine Beach, the Jacksonville Zoo, and others
- 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grades
2022-2023 STEM Magnet Teachers
STEM Lab Teacher