Process For Applying to Conduct Research
All research must be conducted in compliance with School Board of Alachua County Policy 2605.
Follow this procedure to apply for doing research on the Alachua County Public School system. NOTE: You must complete and submit one set of requirements for each school in which you plan to do research.
- Download and complete one copy of the Application for Research in Alachua County Public Schools.
- Attach a copy of your Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval form. Attach a brief description of your research protocol.
- Attach copies of all your data gathering instruments and/or a detailed description of the data required.
- Submit all the above materials to the Research Department for initial approval. The Research office is located in the West Wing of the School Board Administration building at 620 East University Avenue in Gainesville.
- Approved applications will be forwarded to the principal of the school for approval.
- The applicant will be notified by the Research Department once all approvals have been made.
The Department of Research, Assessment and School Improvement research function focuses on controlling the research activities of other agencies within the schools, on the possible effects of policy change on the community and schools, and on evaluation of wide-scale instructional program implementation.
- Research Approval
All research conducted by other agencies in the public schools and/or focusing on public school students must be reviewed and approved by the RA department. The department maintains a process for reviewing, approving, monitoring and coordinating all research proposals. Whenever possible, the department attempts to shield the schools from unnecessary intrusion by placing limits on research projects and/or by providing existing data from within the department.
- Institutional Research
Through the Reports Service and ad hoc reporting functions, the department assists all education decision makers within the district in the formulation of research questions, development of collection instruments, analysis of data, and presentation of results.
- Policy Analysis
Policy analysis involves three separate functions. In initial policy analysis, the department attempts to assess the impact of existing and emerging policies on the communities and schools. Secondly, the department attempts to validate the assumptions stimulating the proposed policies. Thirdly, consequences of proposed policy are anticipated.
- Program Evaluation
Program evaluation consists of the systematic investigation of specific programs for the purpose of assessing their impact. This may include instructional programs acquired by the district as products or services or locally developed programs and services. The focus of the evaluation is on the effectiveness of the program or service in procuring the desired outcomes defined in their acquisition or development
- Research Approval